This post, and the contest, is sponsored by Chicken of the Sea.
What do gratitude, good deeds, and paying it forward have to do with tuna fish? That’s a very good question. We all know Chicken of the Sea, that iconic tuna brand. What I didn’t know: Chicken of the Sea is 100 years old, it was founded in and still remains in San Diego, and they’ve had a century-long history of giving back to American communities.
I do know that the tuna industry was a bedrock of San Diego for many years and that we still have a few tuna boats here in our harbor. And while the fishing industry took a hit, it has bounced back enough that they have just launched an open-air fish market on Saturdays in San Diego, which is pretty cool. Tuna is a staple at our lunch table now, as it’s perfect for my modified paleo/low-sodium/migraine diet.
When Chicken of the Sea got in touch with me about their 100 Years of Good Campaign I took some time to investigate. Instead of being just another marketing scheme, I was impressed to find out that they are investing $1,000,000 in communities all over the United States. Through September 15, you can nominate a worthy local cause to win $10,000 to pay it forward in your community too!
Yes, there’s a fun vintage Airstream trailer and yes, you can have your photo taken with the mermaid, now named “Catalina”. But the underpinnings of the campaign, to visit communities across the United States and give meaningful grants to help wonderful work being done… that felt like something I wanted to support. It’s cool that a company feels gratitude for customer loyalty and shows it in such a big way.
Meet up with the tour to meet Catalina, win prizes, and maybe even win $10,000—East Coast readers in Connecticut, Philly, NYC, and Boston:
- Stop & Shop at 370 Hemingway Avenue in East Haven, Conn., on Aug. 8 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. with a $5,000 check presentation to Connecticut Food Bank starting at 11 a.m
- Stop & Shop at 2335 Dixwell Avenue in Hamden, Conn., on Aug. 9 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Stop & Shop at 22 Leetes Island Road in Branford, Conn., on Aug. 10 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Philadelphia Folk Festival at 1323 Salford Station Rd. in Philadelphia, on August 16 from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Philadelphia Folk Festival at 1323 Salford Station Rd. in Philadelphia, on August 17 from 10 a.m. – 9:30 p.m.
- Stop & Shop at 70-20 Rockaway Beach Blvd in Arverne by the Sea, N.Y., on Aug. 22 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Long Island Seafood Festival at 86 West Ave in West Sayville, N.Y., on Aug. 23 from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Faneuil Hall at 1 Faneuil Hall Square in Boston, on Aug. 30 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Stop & Shop at 540 Squire Rd., in Revere, Mass., on Aug. 31 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Stop & Shop at 251 Washington St., in So. Attleboro, Mass., on Sept. 1 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Nominate a local community do-gooder to win one of the remaining $10,000 awards (through September 15, 2014)
Enter my contest by telling me about your pay-it-forward wish
Four of my readers will be chosen at random to win $250 to put towards a good cause. Isn’t that cool?
Enter by using the Rafflecopter widget below:
- Leave a comment explaining how you would use the $250 to pay it forward to someone or something in your community
- Comment on the Chicken of the Sea image on my Facebook page, explaining how you would use the $250 to pay it forward
- Tweet your pay-it-forward idea with the hashtag #100YearsOfGood
- Pin your pay-it-forward idea with the hashtag #100YearsOfGood
- Instagram your pay-it-forward idea with the hashtag #100YearsOfGood
Required FTC disclosure: The sweepstakes is sponsored by Chicken of the Sea and I received compensation for participating. For my pay-it-forward good deed, I am donating my compensation to Alex’s Lemonade Stand, a national charity supporting pediatric cancer research. The rest will help pay the bills as I work on my migraine diet book, which I hope will pay it forward by helping many people in the future.
Sweepstakes Official Rules:
By using the Rafflecopter widget below you are agreeing to the Official Rules, outlined here.
- NO PURCHASE NECESSARY
- Only residents of the U.S. over the age of 18 are eligible to enter.
- Duration: Friday August 8 through Friday August 22, 2014 at 11:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time.
- Use the Rafflecopter widget to enter.
- The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- Winners will be randomly selected by Rafflecopter within 48 hours of the sweepstakes closing, checked to make sure the entry reflects a pay-it-forward wish, and contacted by email. Winners have 24 hours to respond to their notification email to claim their prize. If they do not respond, another winner will be chosen by Rafflecopter and verified. All prizes will be awarded.
- We are not liable for technical failures or typographical errors, or resolving identity disputes related to the winner.
- We will obtain winners’ name and mailing addresses in the notification email. Once prize(s) have been mailed we will maintain that information for up to one year but will not use it for any other purpose.
- This sweepstakes is sponsored by Chicken of the Sea and Recipe Renovator, P.O. Box 34054, San Diego, CA 92163-4054. (619) 365-5065.
- VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
- Prize description: Four cash prizes of $250.00.