For San Diego folks: The second annual Eat. Drink. Read. A Culinary Event for Literacy will take place May 18 from 5:30 to 8 PM at the McMillin Event Center at Liberty Station. Join 250 guests and a dozen noted San Diego chefs and mixologists. I’ll be there, if you want to meet your Recipe Renovator in person. 🙂
This year’s theme is “Dishes Inspired by Favorite Books.” Each chef has created a tasting dish around a book that has meant a lot to him or her. There will be wine and beer purveyors who will work to chefs to create specific pairings for each dish.
Tickets are $60 per person which includes wine, beer and tastings. You can buy tickets here. All funds raised through the event will go to designated literacy programs in San Diego County to help buy books, teach classes, and conduct staff outreach.
The San Diego Council on Literacy improves quality of life by providing services and resources that enhance the basic reading, writing, and math skills of those at the lowest levels of literacy, including adults, families, and children. Over 450,000 adults in San Diego County have a below-standard level of literacy. That makes our job critically important—to them and their families and to our community. Annually, more than153,000 individuals receive one-on-one, group, and classroom instruction through literacy programs affiliated with the SDCOL. These are people building a foundation for success and a better future for San Diego.
Their excellent work includes:
- Heightening the awareness of the literacy problem in the community and working to find solutions
- Providing resources to the affiliated programs
- Placing Literacy*AmeriCorps members with affiliated programs to support instruction
- Operating a county-wide referral service that refers volunteer tutors and learners to the affiliated programs
- Underwriting vision care for low income learners
- Co-sponsoring the READ/San Diego Tutor Conference
- Donating children’s books
- Supporting life skills training of adult learners either onsite at individual literacy programs or at regional locations around the County
Please come out and join us!