Creamsicle Sundae: I made tangerine-thyme syrup from a bottle of Italian Volcano tangerine juice, then poured it over So Delicious vanilla bean non-dairy ice cream for a dessert that tastes just like my favorite childhood creamsicles. Read on for the recipe and the giveaway from Dream Foods. SWEEPSTAKES IS NOW CLOSED.
I met the nice folks from Italian Volcano at the Fresh Summit in October, and they sent me a box of samples to try.
We loved the organic lemonade and limeade, both sweetened with rice syrup. Super refreshing on a hot summer’s day! We used the blood orange juice to make fancy mimosas at our New Year’s Day brunch, so pretty. I used the lemon juice to make lavender lemonade, sweetening it with agave syrup.All the juices tasted very fresh and rich. Some are imported from Italy, others use domestic fruit.
Makes about 5 oz. (150 ml) of syrup
1 bottle of Italian Volcano tangerine juice (750 ml)
bunch of fresh thyme
1-2 T. (15-30 ml) agave syrup
Wash the thyme. Bring the juice and the thyme to a rolling boil in a heavy-bottomed sauce pan or pot, then turn down the heat so it’s still boiling but not at full boil. Boil for about 30 minutes, until the syrup is the consistency you want (you might want it thinner to make Italian sodas, or a little thicker like caramel for topping ice cream).
Let cool, and strain into a storage jar. Stir in just enough agave syrup to take the edge off the acidic citrus flavor. Store in the refrigerator.
Drizzle over vanilla bean ice cream or vegan ice cream (Coconut Bliss and So Delicious are both soy-free and sweetened with agave syrup) or stir into sparkling water to make tangerine-thyme soda.
Here is this week’s question:
What’s your favorite easy recipe using citrus juice? Italian Volcano will pick the ones they like best to share on their Facebook page.
Sweepstakes Official Rules:
By leaving a comment below you are agreeing to the Official Rules, outlined here.
- NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. SWEEPSTAKES IS NOW CLOSED.
- Only residents of the U.S. and Canada over the age of 18 are eligible to enter.
- Duration: Friday February 1 through Thursday February 8, 2013 at 5 PM Pacific Standard Time. SWEEPSTAKES IS NOW CLOSED.
- Leave a comment answering the question to enter: What’s your favorite easy recipe using citrus juice? You can receive up to 4 additional entries by doing the following and leaving one comment for each additional item. 5 entries total per person, please.
1) If you already follow me, help spread the word: Tweet, Facebook, or Google+ the link to the sweepstakes. You can share up to 4 times on different days for 4 additional entries. (Leave a comment with the link to each mention each time.)
If you are not already following me on Facebook, Twitter, and via my newsletter, you can earn additional entries by doing any of the following. Leave a comment each time:
- The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- Winner will be selected by random number generator within one day of the sweepstakes closing. Winners have 48 hours to respond to their notification email to claim their prize. If they do not respond, another winner will be chosen by random number generator. All prizes will be awarded.
- We are not liable for technical failures or typographical errors, or resolving identity disputes related to the winner.
- We will obtain winners’ name and mailing addresses in the notification email. Once prize(s) have been mailed we will maintain that information for up to one year but will not use it for any other purpose.
- This sweepstakes is sponsored by Italian Volcano and Recipe Renovator, P.O. Box 34054, San Diego, CA 92163-4054. (619) 365-5065.
VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
- Prize description: One bottled juice assortment, retail value of $40.00.
Today’s post is part of our mission to help you rebuild your health through food and lifestyle choices. Look for posts on Mondays featuring gluten-free, sugar-free recipes made with healthy plant-based ingredients, Wednesday essays, and Friday giveaways (when available).